caqs -- general information
What is the International Exchange Alumni website?
The International Exchange Alumni Website is a key resource for alumni who wish to advance their efforts, their community, and our world. Membership to this exclusive online community grants access to:
- $33 billion worth of grant opportunities;
- Professional development resources;
- Exclusive video webchats with VIPs; and
- 20,000 online magazines and newspapers.
Members can also:
- Network with fellow alumni around the world;
- Recruit fellow alumni for projects and competitions;
- Find the latest research in your field;
- Develop plans for your alumni association, or find an association to join;
- Share your experience with a global audience; and
- Read alumni success stories, perspectives, and ideas.
Am I eligible to use the International Exchange Alumni website?
The International Exchange Alumni website is available to all former and current participants of U.S. government-sponsored exchange programs. Program offices (e.g. Fulbright, SUSI, UGRAD, etc.) will register participants for IEA. If you recently participated in a U.S. government-sponsored exchange program, please check your email for an IEA invitation.
I haven't been on a U.S. government-sponsored exchange program, but I would like to go on one. How do I find out about these programs?
If you have not participated in a U.S. government-funded exchange but are interested in educational and cultural exchanges, we encourage you to visit the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs’ Exchange Programs website at http://exchanges.state.gov/.
You can also learn more about exchange opportunities in the U.S. from the following resources:
I’m an exchange program alum, but did not receive an email invitation. What should I do?
If you are an alumnus or alumna and have not received an email with instructions about activating your account, follow these steps:
- Make sure your program is in the list of eligible exchange programs.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Your First Name and Last Name (this should be the name you used while you were on your program).
- Program name (from the list of eligible exchange programs).
- Program dates (start and end).
- The country you are from.
- The country where your exchange took place.
- Email address.
- If you have a certificate of completion, please attach it.
What happens if I went on my program before September 2015/the current registration process was updated? Can I still get an account?
Yes, please follow the same steps as above, and provide the same information.
What if I don't have a certificate of completion from my exchange program?
You don't need a certificate of completion from your program in order to get an account on alumni.state.gov. In fact, not all eligible programs issue certificates of completion. In some cases, the certificate can help speed up the process of granting access to an account, but we will still do our best to verify your information if you do not have one.
What if my program isn't in the list of eligible programs?
If you believe your program is eligible and is not on the list, please email email@example.com with as much information as you can about your program, as well as all of the information required above (first name, last name, program name, start and end dates, etc.
If we are not able to determine that your program was eligible, we encourage you to visit the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs' website at exchanges.state.gov to learn about eligible. U.S. government sponsored exchange programs, details on how to apply, and much more.
caqs - login issues
I forgot my password. What should I do?
If you have forgotten your password, you can reset it by entering your email address at: https://alumni.state.gov/user/password. You will be asked to enter your email address and security question. Once you enter your email address and the correct answer to your security question, you will be sent a link via email that can temporarily log you into your account. This link can only be used once to log in and will lead you to a page where you can set your password. It expires after one day and nothing will happen if it's not used.
If you have linked your International Exchange Alumni account with your Google account, you must log in using the “Login with Google” button located next to the normal log in username and password boxes. Your username and password for the site will no longer work after you link your account. If for some reason you experience difficulty logging in with your Google account, feel free to contact us.
I forgot my security question, what should I do?
If you have forgotten the answer to your security question but remember your password, please log in and go to your profile settings. Under “Password and Security”, you can change your security question. If you have forgotten your security question and your password, please contact us.
I want to change the email address associated with my account. How can I do that?
Please log into the site (using the email address you registered with), then click on “My Profile”. Go to the “Profile Settings” tab, and scroll to the email section. There you can change your email address. Please note that after you change your email address, you will use the new address to log on.
caqs - info for members
How do I add a program to my profile?
If you have participated in multiple exchange programs, it’s easy to add programs to your profile. Simply click "My Profile" at the top right hand corner of the website. On your profile, select the "Add an Exchange Program" link. Enter all of the required program information and click "Save" to add the program to your profile.
How do I update my Career Highlights?
To add a new career highlight, simply click "My Profile" at the top right hand corner of the website. On your profile, select the "Add" link in the Career Highlights section. Enter all of the required employment history details and click "Save" to add the job position to your profile.
How do I update my Educational Highlights?
To add a new school or degree to your Educational Highlights, simply click "My Profile" at the top right hand corner of the website. On your profile, select the "Add" link in the Educational Highlights section. Enter all of the required educational history details and click "Save" to add the Educational Highlight to your profile.
How do I access resources for alumni (for example, academic journals and newspapers)?
To access newspapers and magazines, please find "Resources" in the top blue navigation bar. If you are looking for academic journals, click on "Research Tools". That will bring you to this page: https://alumni.state.gov/member-resources/research-tools. The Research Tools page includes a number of academic journals. For example, to access newspapers and magazines, select "Search All" under Electronic Library, and on that site, search for the newspaper, academic journal, or magazine you would like to read. We encourage you to explore all resources available to IEA members.
How do I post an Alumni Update?
All alumni members of International Exchange Alumni are encouraged to post “Alumni Updates” about their recent or upcoming alumni-related activities, similar to an announcement or news bulletin. To post an update:
- Click on the “Post” button in the top right hand corner of any page;
- Select “Post an Update” from the dropdown menu;
- Fill out the update form;
- Click on the “Submit Update” button to create your update.
Your update should display in one of the many Latest Activity feeds on the Alumni site.
How can I post an event for other alumni to see?
All alumni members of International Exchange Alumni are encouraged to post “Events” about their upcoming alumni-related activities. These events will be viewable by all other alumni members of the site, but not by the public. To post an event:
- Click on the “Post” button in the top right hand corner of any page;
- Select “Post an Event” from the dropdown menu;
- Fill out the event form;
- Click on the “Submit Event” button to create your Event.
Your event should display on the Events page on the Alumni site.
I'm looking for grant and scholarship opportunities. How can International Exchange Alumni help me?
International Exchange Alumni invites alumni to submit project proposals to the annual Alumni Engagement Innovation Fund (AEIF) competition. The AEIF offers alumni of United States government-funded exchange programs the opportunity to address global issues on a local, national, regional or international level. You can receive notifications about this competition and other alumni news by signing up to receive emails from our office.
Other grant and funding opportunities are available to alumni year-round by visiting COS Funding Opportunities which can be found in the Resources section under Grant Opportunities. There you can search a comprehensive database of available funding, containing more than $33 billion in grants, fellowships, prizes, and other opportunities.
Finally, to find information about scholarships and exchange programs, we recommend you consult the following sources:
How can I sign up for e-mail newsletters from the International Exchange Alumni website?
By subscribing to the newsletter, you will stay up-to-date on new job opportunities, alumni stories, events, and other opportunities available to you as a member of International Exchange Alumni.
Follow the steps below to sign up to receive newsletters from International Exchange Alumni:
- Click on the ‘My Profile’ link in the top right hand corner of the site;
- On the ‘My Account’ page, click on the ‘Profile Settings’ tab;
- Expand the ‘E-mail newsletters’ accordion at the bottom of the page by clicking on the ‘+ Expand’ link;
- Click on the ‘Subscribe’ link and you will be automatically added to the E-mail newsletter mailing list.
How can I sign up for RSS feeds from the International Exchange Alumni website?
Follow the steps below to sign up for RSS feeds of your favorite content from the International Exchange Alumni website:
- Click on the "My Profile" link at the top right hand corner of the website;
- On your profile page, select the ‘Profile Settings’ tab;
- At the bottom of the page expand the ‘E-mail Newsletter and RSS Subscriptions’ accordion;
- Click on one of the RSS token links for the RSS content feed you are interested in;
- You will be directed to the default RSS landing page for the RSS feed you selected;
- Subscribe to the feed by selecting your preferred RSS service (like Google Reader or My Yahoo) in the dropdown menu at the top of the page;
- Click on the ‘Subscribe Now’ button and follow the specific instructions for your preferred RSS service.