The International Exchange Alumni (IEA) website is available to former and current participants of U.S. government sponsored exchange programs. In September 2015, we updated the IEA registration process to make it faster and easier for alumni to gain access to the website. Alumni who participate in an exchange program after September 2015 will receive an email invitation to join the IEA website and activate their accounts. This means that alumni no longer go to to register directly.

What if I did not receive an email invitation and would like an IEA account?

If you are an alumnus or alumna and have not received an email with instructions about activating your account, follow these steps:

  1. Make sure your program is in the list of eligible exchange programs.
  2. Email with the following information:
    1. First Name and Last Name (this should be the name you used while you were on your program).
    2. Program name (from the list of eligible exchange programs).
    3. Program dates (start and end).
    4. The country you are from.
    5. The country where your exchange took place.
    6. Email address.
    7. If you have a certificate of completion, please attach it.

What happens if I went on my program before September 2015, but I do not have an account?

Please follow the same steps as above, and provide the same information.

What if I don't have a certificate of completion?

You don't need a certificate of completion from your program in order to get an account on In fact, not all eligible programs issue certificates of completion. In some cases, the certificate can help speed up the process of granting access to an account, but we will still do our best to verify your information if you do not have one.

What if my program isn't in the list of eligible programs?

If you believe your program is eligible and it is not on the list, please email with as much information as you can about your program, as well as all the information required above (first name, last name, etc.).

If we are not able to determine that your program was eligible, we encourage you to visit the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs' website at There, you'll find plenty of information about U.S. government sponsored exchange programs, with details about applications and more.