Special Opportunity for IVLP Judicial Exchange Alumni: Honorable Judge Flanagan Scholarship
The Patrick Flanagan International Judicial Scholarship Endowment Fund Program for IVLP Alumni
The Flanagan Judicial Scholarship was established in honor and in memory of Patrick Flanagan, a champion of citizen diplomacy and fierce advocate for deeper cultural understanding between people of all nations. Judge Flanagan met with hundreds of visitors during his tenure at the Washoe County District Court.
The Northern Nevada International Center and the National Judicial College are partnering on this exciting scholarship program, which starts at the National Judicial College in Fall 2019. Applicants must be exchange program alumni of the U.S. Department of State's International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP), who participated in a judicial/rule of law IVLP project.
The maximum amount of a single annual scholarship is up to $5,000. Additional funds available will be used to partially scholarship additional international judicial students.
Scholarship winners will receive the following benefits on a cost-reimbursable basis:
- Tuition for a 4-5 day course at the National Judicial College
- Round-trip airfare from the capital of your country to Reno, Nevada
- Accommodations for the duration of your course
- Dinner at the home of a local judge
The deadline to apply is April 15, 2019. Please provide the following points in your application:
- The date and title of the IVLP Program you participated in
- Your country of origin
- Which course you would like to enroll in (select from courses listed below)
- Why this scholarship will help you in your work
- How you will share and implement your knowledge with colleagues in your country
- Whether you will need an interpreter for the duration of the course
The following National Judicial College qualified courses are eligible for the scholarship. One course per applicant.
Leadership for Judges
Reno, NV August 12-15, 2019
Designing and Presenting: A Faculty Development Workshop
Reno, NV August 19-22, 2019
Reno, NV October 7-10, 2019
Ethics, Fairness, and Security in Your Courtroom and Community
Reno, NV October 19-24, 2019
Drugged Driving Essentials
Reno, NV October 28-30, 20
Reno, NV November 4-8, 2019