On December 15th, 2016, the Italian Alumni Association Amerigo held a ceremony in Florence to honor the winners of the 8th Amerigo Media Award. In front of a large audience, Amerigo presented to ten journalists who had been selected by a jury for having contributed significantly to the improvement of Italians’ awareness of America. The U.S. Embassy’s Country Public Affairs Officer, the Consul General of the United States in Florence, the President of Amerigo, the Secretary General of the European Network of American Alumni Associations (ENAM), and Amerigo’s Florence chapter coordinator were all in attendance for this momentous occasion.
The following journalists received the 8th edition of the Amerigo Media Award in each of the following categories:
A number of Greek attendees were also present to honor the winner of the European section of the award: Greek journalist Nikolas Vafiadis. Guests included the president and vice president of the Hellenic American Alumni Association. Both Amerigo and the Hellenic American Alumni Association are full and active members of ENAM.
- Press Associations: Stefano Polli from National Associated Press Agency (ANSA)
- Daily Newspapers: Giuseppe Sarcina from “Il Corriere della Sera”
- Periodicals: Institute for International Political Studies (ISPI)
- Radio: Vatican Radio
- Television: Francesca Forcella from Mediaset
- Photography: Nanni Fontana and Massimo Di Nonno from “Corriere della Sera – Sette”
- Websites: Luca Ciarrocca
- Under 35: Silvia Berzoni from CNBC TV
- Special Award: Mario Calabresi, editor-in-chief of “Repubblica”
On December 14th, U.S. Embassy Rome’s Deputy Chief of Mission and the Consul General for Florence spoke of the importance of free speech and journalism at the Consulate’s reception in honor of the recipients of the Amerigo Media Awards.